The Queen Nzinga was the first African leader to put two European nations to fight against each other.

ANGOLA – tercentenary Restoration – DUTCH ATTACK THE STRONG MUXIMA –
The Dutch in Angola.

When Philip of Spain seized upon the crown of Portugal in 1580, that unfortunate country became at once involved in the troubles between Spain and the United [Pg 170] Netherlands. No sooner had the destruction of the Armada, in 1588, enabled the Dutch to take the offensive on sea, than they began to compete for a share in the trade of the Portuguese possessions. The Dutch at first kept on the defensive, but in 1598 they and the Portuguese came into hostile collision near the Ilha do Principe; and all efforts to exclude these noxious heretics from sharing in the trade of the Kongo proved futile, more especially as the natives themselves preferred their Dutch visitors to the masterful Portuguese.484

An armistice concluded in 1609 expired in 1621. The Dutch West-India Company was founded in that very year, and thenceforth the Dutch proceeded aggressively. In 1623 they burnt several patachos off the mouth of the Kwanza; in 1629 a Dutch squadron cruised during three months off the coast of Benguella and captured four Portuguese merchantmen, but failed to force their way into the harbour of Luandu. In 1633 two Dutch vessels menaced S. Felippe de Benguella, but were driven off by Lopo Soares Laço, after a stout fight, on November 15th. In 1637, Bartholomeu de Vasconcellos da Cunha, the Governor’s brother, captured a Dutch man-of-war of 24 guns. At that time the coast was being regularly patrolled by Portuguese men-of-war,485 and in 1638 the foundations of the Fort S. Miguel were laid on the Morro de S. Paulo, the original site of the city of S. Paulo.

When Portugal recovered her independence, in December, 1640, D. João IV of Bragança at once sent Tristão de Mendoza Furtado to the Hague, with instructions to demand a suspension of hostilities. The West-India Company, which profited largely from a state of war, [Pg 171] declared in favour of a definite treaty of peace, but objected to the conclusion of an armistice. The Portuguese envoy had no authority to sign such a treaty; but after protracted negotiations an armistice for ten years was signed on June 23rd, 1641, which was to take force outside Europe as soon as it became known there.

Meantime, the directors of the West-Indian Company had instructed Count John Moritz of Nassau to take advantage of the momentary weakness of Portugal, after her war of liberation, to seize all he could before the terms of the treaty became known.486 Count Moritz, being desirous to increase the supply of slaves for the plantations in Brazil, determined to seize upon Luandu. A fleet of twenty-one vessels was at once fitted out at Pernambuco, and placed under the command of Cornelis Cornelissen Jol, surnamed Houtebeen, or “Wooden leg.” It was manned by nine hundred sailors, and had on board two thousand troops, commanded by Jeems Hindersen. This formidable armament left Pernambuco in June 30th, 1641, sighted Cabo Negro on August 5th, and having captured the Jesus Maria, on a voyage from Madeira, was by her piloted into the harbour of Luandu. On August 24th the Dutch fleet unexpectedly appeared off S. Paulo, surprising its inhabitants in the midst of their rejoicings at the accession of the “liberator king.” S. Paulo, at that time, was a city of twenty thousand inhabitants, including three thousand Portuguese; but the Governor, Pedro Cezar de Menezes, though he was at the head of nine hundred white troops, offered only a feeble resistance; and, accompanied by many of the citizens, he withdrew to the river Mbengu, and subsequently to Masanganu. The booty [Pg 172] which fell into the hands of the Dutch included thirty ships and ninety-eight cannon.

They lost no time in gaining the goodwill of the neighbouring sobas, sent an embassy to the King of Kongo (see p. 125), and entertained offers of alliance from Queen Nzinga. Aki musanu (Aca mochana) and Nambu a ngongo (Nabo a ngongo), who had risen upon the Portuguese, were joined by one hundred and fifty Dutchmen, and thus enabled to overcome their enemies, whose leaders, André da Costa and João Vieira, they killed (1642).

In the following year (1643) information was received that the truce had been signed, but the Dutch director very naturally declined to surrender the town. He agreed, however, to suspend hostilities. Pedro Cezar had been instructed by his government to avail himself of the first opportunity to recover the city,487 and it was evidently with a view to this eventuality that he established a camp on the river Mbengu. The Dutch suspected his treacherous design, and at dawn on May 26th, 1643, they surprised his force. Many Portuguese were killed (including Antonio Bruto), while Pedro Cezar himself, Bartholomeu de Vasconcellos da Cunha, and one hundred and eighty seven soldiers were taken prisoner. The remainder escaped to Masanganu. The forces assembled there under the captain-major, Antonio de Miranda, were unable to retrieve this disaster, but the Governor, aided by friends, managed soon afterwards to escape.

But though unequal to meeting the Dutch in the field, the Portuguese were still able to enforce their authority upon the natives; and in 1645 Diogo Gomes de Morales led an expedition into Lubolo and Mbalundu (Bailundo), and reduced the kolombos of thirty “Jagas” to obedience.

[Pg 173]

A Rainha NZINGA foi a primeira lider africana a pór duas nações europeias a combaterem uma contra outra.

In 1645, the Portuguese of Brazil, under the leadership of João Fernandez Vieira, rose upon their Dutch oppressors, and in the same year the Dutch occupied S. Felippe de Benguella. The garrison under Antonio Teixeira de Mendonça, the captain-major, and Antonio Gomez de Gouvea, an experienced sertanejo, or backwoodsman, retired northward along the coast. On reaching Kikombo Bay, on July 27th, 1645, they met there Francisco de Sotto-maior, just arrived from Rio de Janeiro with reinforcements. By advice of Gomez, the troops and stores were landed in Suto Bay, near Cabo ledo, and conducted by him in three detachments to Masanganu, without the Dutch becoming aware of their arrival. The Governor, Pedro Cezar de Menezes, returned by the same route to Rio, taking with him a cargo of slaves.

These reinforcements arrived just in time to be employed against Queen Nzinga. That lady had set a black and a white cock to fight each other, and the defeat of the white cock was looked upon by her as a favourable augury for venturing an attack upon Masanganu. But Gaspar Borges de Madureira fell upon her before her forces had been concentrated (January, 1646). She suffered a severe defeat, notwithstanding the presence of Dutch auxiliaries. Her sisters once more fell into the hands of the Portuguese. D. Engracia was strangled soon afterwards for an act of treachery, whilst D. Barbara was kept in honourable captivity until 1657.488

Meanwhile the Dutch had made preparations for an advance up the Kwanza. They had built Fort Mols at the mouth of the river, and another fort higher up. The Governor, Francisco de Sotto-maior, having died of fever in May, 1646, measures for a spirited defence were taken by the three captains-major, Bartholomeu de [Pg 174] Vasconcellos da Cunha, Antonio Teixeira de Mendonça, and João Juzarte de Andrada. Muchima, which had been furiously assaulted by the Dutch, was relieved by Diogo Gomes de Morales. But in the following year the Portuguese suffered a reverse at Kawala (Caoalla), and Masanganu itself was threatened by the combined forces of Queen Nzinga, Kongo, and the Dutch.

However a saviour was at hand in this extremity. On August 12th, 1648, Salvador Corrêa de Sá Benevides,489 with nineteen vessels, having on board nine hundred soldiers, cast anchor in the harbour of Luandu, and summoned the Dutch to surrender within forty-eight hours. On their refusal he landed his troops, and after a short bombardment of Fort S. Miguel, to which the Dutch had withdrawn, early on August 15th he delivered an assault, which cost him one hundred and sixty three men, but led to the surrender of a garrison numbering one thousand one hundred men, including French and German mercenaries. When these prisoners had been joined by the three hundred Dutchmen who were with Queen Nzinga, and the garrison of Benguella, which surrendered without a blow, they were shipped off to Europe. The city, in memory of the event, assumed the name of “S. Paulo da Assumpção de Loanda,” for it was on the Day of Ascension of the Virgin Mary that a seven years’ captivity ended. The anniversary of that event is celebrated to the present day by a religious procession.


Os holandeses em Angola.

Quando Felipe de Espanha apoderou da coroa de Portugal em 1580, esse país infeliz ficou imediatamente envolvido nos problemas entre Espanha e os Estados [Pg 170] Holanda. Assim que a destruição da Armada, em 1588, permitiu que os holandeses a tomar a ofensiva no mar, do que eles começaram a competir por uma fatia no comércio das possessões portuguesas. Os holandeses na primeira mantido na defensiva, mas em 1598 eles e os Português entrou em colisão hostil perto da Ilha do Príncipe; e todos os esforços para excluir estes hereges nocivos da partilha no comércio do Kongo provou fútil, tanto mais que os próprios nativos preferido seus visitantes holandeses ao Portuguese.484 magistral

Um armistício concluído em 1609 expirou em 1621. O holandês Oeste-India Company foi fundada em que muito anos, e desde então os holandeses começou de forma agressiva. Em 1623 eles queimaram várias patachos ao largo da foz do Kwanza; em 1629 uma esquadra holandesa navegado durante três meses ao largo da costa de Benguela e capturaram quatro navios mercantes portugueses, mas não conseguiram forçar seu caminho para o porto de Luandu. Em 1633 dois navios holandeses ameaçado S. Felippe de Benguela, mas foram expulsos por Lopo Soares Laço, depois de uma briga de malte, em 15 de novembro. Em 1637, Bartholomeu de Vasconcellos da Cunha, irmão do governador, capturaram um navio de guerra de 24 canhões-holandesa. Naquela época, a costa estava sendo patrulhada regularmente por homens de guerra, 485 portugueses e em 1638 os fundamentos da Fort S. Miguel foram estabelecidas no Morro de S. Paulo, o site original da cidade de S. Paulo.

Quando Portugal recuperou a independência, em dezembro de 1640, D. João IV de Bragança imediatamente enviado Tristão de Mendoza Furtado para a Haia, com instruções para exigir a suspensão das hostilidades. O West-India Company, que lucraram em grande parte a partir de um estado de guerra, [Pg 171] declarou a favor de um tratado definitivo de paz, mas opôs-se à conclusão de um armistício. O enviado Português não tinha autoridade para assinar um tratado; mas depois de prolongadas negociações, um armistício por dez anos foi assinado em 23 de junho de 1641, que era para entrar em vigor fora da Europa, logo que ficou conhecido lá.

Contagem Enquanto isso, os diretores da empresa West-indiano havia instruído John Moritz de Nassau para tirar proveito da fraqueza momentânea de Portugal, depois de sua guerra de libertação, para aproveitar tudo o que podia antes que os termos do tratado se tornou known.486 Contagem Moritz , sendo desejosos de aumentar a oferta de escravos para as plantações no Brasil, determinada a apoderar-se Luandu. Uma frota de vinte e um navios foi imediatamente equipado em Pernambuco, e colocada sob o comando de Cornelis Jol Cornelissen, de sobrenome Houtebeen, ou “perna de pau.” Ele foi ocupado por novecentos marinheiros, e tinha a bordo de dois mil soldados, comandado por Jeems Hindersen. Este armamento formidável deixou Pernambuco em 30 de junho de 1641, avistou Cabo Negro em 05 de agosto, e tendo capturado o Jesus Maria, em uma viagem de Madeira, estava ao seu pilotado para o porto de Luandu. Em 24 de agosto a frota holandesa apareceu inesperadamente fora de S. Paulo, surpreendendo seus habitantes no meio de suas rejoicings na adesão do “libertador rei”. S. Paulo, na época, era uma cidade de vinte mil habitantes, incluindo três Português mil; mas o governador, Pedro Cezar de Menezes, embora ele estava à frente de nove centenas de soldados brancos, oferecido apenas uma resistência débil; e, acompanhado por muitos dos cidadãos, retirou-se para o rio Mbengu e, posteriormente, para Masanganu. O espólio [Pg 172], que caiu nas mãos dos holandeses incluídos trinta navios e noventa e oito canhão.

Eles não perderam tempo em ganhar a boa vontade dos sobas vizinhos, enviou uma embaixada ao Rei do Kongo (ver p 125.), E entretido ofertas de aliança Rainha Nzinga. Aki musanu (Aca mochana) e Nambu um Ngongo (Nabo um Ngongo), que havia subido em cima das Português, juntaram-se cento e cinqüenta e holandeses, e, assim, permitiu superar seus inimigos, cujos líderes, André da Costa e João Vieira, eles mataram (1642).

No ano seguinte (1643) foram recebidas informações de que a trégua havia sido assinado, mas o diretor holandês, muito naturalmente, recusou-se a entregar a cidade. Ele concordou, no entanto, a suspender as hostilidades. Pedro Cezar tinha sido instruído por seu governo para valer-se da primeira oportunidade de recuperar a cidade, 487 e era, evidentemente, com vista a essa eventualidade que ele estabeleceu um acampamento no rio Mbengu. Os holandeses suspeitava que seu projeto traiçoeiro, e na madrugada de 26 de maio de 1643, eles surpreenderam a sua força. Muitos Português foram mortos (incluindo Antonio Bruto), enquanto o próprio Pedro Cezar, Bartholomeu de Vasconcellos da Cunha, e 187 soldados foram feitos prisioneiros. O restante fugiu para Masanganu. As forças ali reunidos sob o capitão-mor, Antonio de Miranda, foram incapazes de recuperar deste desastre, mas o governador, ajudado por amigos, conseguiu logo depois de escapar.

Mas, ainda que desigual de atender os holandeses no campo, o Português ainda eram capazes de impor a sua autoridade sobre os nativos; e em 1645 Diogo Gomes de Morales liderou uma expedição em Lubolo e Mbalundu (Bailundo), e reduziu as kolombos de trinta “Jagas” a obediência.

[Pg 173]

Em 1645, o Português do Brasil, sob a liderança de João Fernandez Vieira, levantou-se sobre os seus opressores holandeses, e no mesmo ano, os holandeses ocuparam S. Felippe de Benguela. A guarnição sob Antonio Teixeira de Mendonça, o capitão-mor, e Antonio Gómez de Gouvea, um sertanejo experiente, ou sertanejo, aposentado para o norte ao longo da costa. Ao chegar Kikombo Bay, em 27 de julho de 1645, eles se encontraram lá Francisco de Sotto-Maior, recém-chegado do Rio de Janeiro com reforços. Pelo conselho de Gomez, as tropas e lojas foram desembarcados em Suto Bay, perto de Cabo Ledo, e conduzida por ele em três destacamentos para Masanganu, sem os holandeses se tornando conscientes da sua chegada. O governador, Pedro Cezar de Menezes, voltou pelo mesmo caminho para o Rio, levando com ele uma carga de escravos.

Estes reforços chegaram bem a tempo de ser utilizado contra a rainha Nzinga. Aquela senhora tinha definido um preto e um galo branco a lutar entre si, ea derrota do galo branco era considerado por ela como um augúrio favorável para se aventurar um ataque contra Masanganu. Mas Gaspar Borges de Madureira caiu sobre ela antes de suas forças haviam se concentrado (Janeiro, 1646). Ela sofreu uma derrota severa, não obstante a presença de auxiliares holandeses. Suas irmãs mais uma vez caiu nas mãos do Português. D. Engracia foi estrangulado logo depois para um ato de traição, enquanto D. Barbara foi mantido em cativeiro honrosa até 1657.488

Enquanto isso, os holandeses haviam feito os preparativos para um avanço até o Kwanza. Eles tinham construído Fort Mols, na foz do rio, e outro forte superiores. O governador, Francisco de Sotto-Maior, tendo morrido de febre em maio de 1646, medidas para uma enérgica defesa foram tomadas pelos três capitães-major, Bartholomeu de [Pg 174] Vasconcellos da Cunha, Antonio Teixeira de Mendonça, e João Juzarte de Andrada. Muchima, que havia sido furiosamente agredido pelos holandeses, ficou aliviado por Diogo Gomes de Morales. Mas no ano seguinte, o Português sofreu um revés em Kawala (Caoalla), ea própria Masanganu foi ameaçada pelas forças combinadas da Rainha Nzinga, Kongo, e os holandeses.

No entanto, um salvador estava à mão nesta extremidade. Em 12 de agosto de 1648, Salvador Corrêa de Sá Benevides, 489 com dezenove navios, tendo a bordo novecentos soldados, ancorar no porto de Luandu, e convocou os holandeses a entregar no prazo de quarenta e oito horas. Na sua recusa ele desembarcou suas tropas, e depois de um curto bombardeio de Fort S. Miguel, para que os holandeses haviam retirado, no início em 15 de agosto, ele entregou um assalto, o que lhe custou 163 homens, mas levou à rendição de uma numeração um mil, cento homens, incluindo mercenários franceses e alemães guarnição. Quando esses prisioneiros tinham sido acompanhado por os trezentos holandeses que estavam com a Rainha Nzinga, ea guarnição de Benguela, que se rendeu sem um golpe, eles foram enviados para a Europa. A cidade, em memória do evento, assumiu o nome de “S. Paulo da Assumpção de Loanda “, pois foi no Dia da Ascensão da Virgem Maria que o cativeiro de sete anos terminou. O aniversário desse evento é comemorado até os dias atuais por uma procissão religiosa.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here